[fetchmail] Problems retrieving mail: fetchmail: smtp listener protocol error

2003-11-14 18:21:55

Hi all,

I am working on a fresh install of Mandrake 9.2, fetchmail was working
as of this AM just fine, so I don't know if something is wrong with
Mandrake or if something has changed coincidentally with my ISP, but I
am seeing behaviour I have never seen before. Below is the output of
fetchmail -v, the line at the end is where it hangs and no mail is ever
retrieved. No doubt, I have had problems with this ISP in the past, but
I don't know how to narrow this down to Mandrake being fuxored somehow
(I can't see how that would be, I've tried the default RPM that comes
with 9.2, which is fetchmail 6.2.4, and I've tried to build and use the
latest, 6.2.5, and I get the same result), or if it's the ISP, or what.

My ~/.fetchmailrc has not changed, it is a direct copy of the one I was
using with MDK 9.1.

Any help greatly appreciated, this is really frustrating me, especially
if someone can tell me what that last line might mean.

Thanks!

 fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying pop2.sympatico.ca(protocol POP3) at
Wed 12 Nov 2003 01:44:50 PM EST: poll started fetchmail: POP3<+OK
InterMail POP3 server ready. fetchmail: POP3> CAPA fetchmail: POP3< +OK
Capability list follows fetchmail: POP3< TOP
fetchmail: POP3< USER
fetchmail: POP3< RESP_CODES
fetchmail: POP3< PIPELINING
fetchmail: POP3< EXPIRE NEVER
fetchmail: POP3< UIDL
fetchmail: POP3< IMPLEMENTATION Openwave Email vM.5.01.06.04
201-253-122-130-104 fetchmail: POP3< -20030726
fetchmail: POP3< .
fetchmail: POP3> USER xxxxxxx
fetchmail: POP3< +OK please send PASS command
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< +OK xxxxxxx is welcome here
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 3252
fetchmail: POP3> LAST
fetchmail: POP3< -ERR Invalid command; valid commands: CAPA, DELE, LIST,
NOOP, RETR, RSET, STAT, TOP, UIDL or QUIT fetchmail: Invalid command;
valid commands: CAPA, DELE, LIST, NOOP, RETR, RSET, STAT, TOP, UIDL or
QUIT fetchmail: POP3> UIDL
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 messages
fetchmail: POP3< 1
<89473-2003-1112-134641-6031(_at_)wyntxt5(_dot_)bellnexxia(_dot_)net>
fetchmail: POP3< .
1 message for xxxxxxx at pop2.sympatico.ca (3252 octets).
fetchmail: POP3> LIST 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 3252
fetchmail: POP3> TOP 1 99999999
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 3252 octets
reading message xxxxxxx(_at_)pop2(_dot_)sympatico(_dot_)ca:1 of 1 (3252 octets)
fetchmail: smtp listener protocol error