RE: [fetchmail] EHLO localhost

2003-11-24 10:01:00
Matthias

No apology required.

I understood your reply this time.

Have looked at your suggestions and implemented a solution.

Thanks for your time.

regards

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthias Andree [mailto:matthias(_dot_)andree(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de]
Sent: 24 November 2003 09:17
To: Alan Munday
Subject: Re: [fetchmail] EHLO localhost

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003, Alan Munday wrote:

It is my understanding that the EHLO localhost is being issued by
fetchmail
to the mta (postfix in my case) and precedes any spooling of any of the
mail
pulled from the remote server.

If this is the case how can the contents of the mail affect the smtp
initiation from fetchmail?

I was confused. Please apologize.

You can try to relax the HELO/EHLO restrictions by putting
permit_mynetworks on the smtpd_helo_restrictions early, say:

smtpd_helo_restrictions =
    permit_mynetworks
    reject_non_fqdn_hostname
    reject_invalid_hostname
    reject_unknown_hostname

Alternatively, for tighter control, you can try to use restriction
classes in Postfix to allow "EHLO localhost" from 127.0.0.1 (or your own
IP) but to forbid it from any other hosts. Ralf Hildebrandt has
examples, check www.postfix.org, click "Documentation and Howtos", then
search that HTML page for "Hildebrandt" and follow the link next to his
name.