Re: [fetchmail] configure offline mail server

2003-11-26 11:25:08
From: "Nabin Limbu" <nlimbu(_at_)healthnet(_dot_)org(_dot_)np>

I am trying to use fetchmail with sendmail as an offline dialup mail
server. From crontab, I regularly dial via wvdial to connect with
mailserver of my ISP. Through /etc/ppp/ip-up.local, I start
fetchmail and sendmail to flush its queued mail with "sendmail -q"
command. After that dialup gets disconnected. My problem is how can
I know or detect that sendmail has completed sending its queued mail
to my mailserver of ISP.

That is really a sendmail question.  Unless someone (maybe on a more
appropriate list) knows a sendmail solution, the only idea springing
to mind is a pppd heuristic: if neither fetchmail nor sendmail has
used the link for some time, sendmail too will be finished.

For that, I'd play with pppd's 'idle' option, maybe together with its
'active-filter' option if you want to cut off anything else but
sendmail or fetchmail.  But that is really getting off-topic now...

Marco