Re: [fetchmail]transferlimit patch

2003-12-08 06:02:44
Andrew McGill <fetchmail(_at_)ledge(_dot_)co(_dot_)za> writes:

This should solve the all-too-frequent problem of a 26Mb mailbox
consisting of two 7MB mails and lots of little ones.  The mailbox
frequently can't be processed in a single session without
introducing the horrid overheads of --expunge 1.

Why not? As soon as the mail has been downloaded, it is marked "read" if
you use UIDL, and you really should.

I don't object to the feature patch as such, but I'd think there is some
serious hardware (or server-side software) trouble going on if
connections abort randomly that should be addressed and fixed, rather
than worked around. I have TCP connections survive multiple hours, with
and without data transmitted. DSL here, but things haven't been
different in the ISDN flat fee era or with modem (mine has V.34 + V.42
with selective retransmit + V.42bis).