[fetchmail]POP3 STLS Support in Fetchmail

2004-03-21 19:59:23
Hello All,

I was wondering if there is anyway to update the Fetchmail
documentation/manpage to clarify STARTTLS/STLS usage?

I have been using fetchmail to test various POP3 servers (fetchmail is a
good tool for this, with nice verbose messages), and I ran into the
situation where I needed to force STLS usage.  The manpage lists many
SSL options, but no keywords or options to force STLS to be used.

After beating my head on this for awhile, I took all the --ssl options
off the command line, and then fetchmail used STLS to log into the
server!  This is great, but it would be nice to document that behaviour
in the manpage, or to add an explicit STARTTLS option.

I realize that many POP3 servers just run pop3s on port 995, but many
clients and servers now support the STLS method as well.

If anybody has any information on this, or any feedback on whether or
not adding the option is a good idea, I would love to hear it.

It may be as simple as changing the manpage.

Best Regards,

Van

--

       Van Emery (Mei Feng)

       Academia Sinica IIS
       Room 402
       Tel: 2788-3799 x1457

     emeryvl(_at_)iis(_dot_)sinica(_dot_)edu(_dot_)tw