RE: [fetchmail]Fetchmail Multidrop Mail Loops

2004-04-28 05:19:00
From: WalyBaly <walybaly(_at_)softhome(_dot_)net>

I am planning to set up an multidrop account which will fetch mails
 for allusers in my domain.

 I was going through the Multidrop section in the Fetchmail manual.
 It mentions this also....
 'Be careful of  mail loops if you do this!'

 Can anyone explain and help me out with what this really means ??

Ok:

1) Your ISP receives the email for fred(_at_)domain(_dot_)com
2) Fetchmail collects it and passes it over to the local SMTP server
3) Your local SMTP server doesn't think it handles mail for domain.com, so passes it off to your ISP
4) See (1)

Basically, make make sure your local SMTP server knows it handles the email for that domain and test it. The first time you run fetchmail do a single pass only, while watching the mail logs. That way you know what's going on.

 Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
      Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?

Stay in touch with absent friends - get MSN Messenger http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger