Re: [fetchmail]problem fetching mail

2004-05-22 02:15:04
On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 01:08:27PM +1000, Luke Worthy wrote:
 I am having problems with fetch mail actually fetching email.  The server
has
pops and imaps setup at the moment, I'd like to use pop (various reasons) but
I think using imap is better for troubleshooting.

I know there is mail waiting in /var/spool/mail/luke, it's in mbox format
(just using uw-imap - don't want courier as this is only a temporary storage
server and not used by normal users - MX2 - hence the fetching).

my fetchmailrc is:
poll mailserver.com with proto imap
username blah is blah here password whatever ssl nokeep  fetchall

and it authenticates fine, but says there is no mail for the user:

Test this using the openssl client:

# openssl s_client -connect x.x.x.x:995       # for pop3s
user username
pass password
stat
quit

# openssl s_client -connect x.x.x.x:993       # for imaps
a login username password
a examine inbox
a logout

If the server tells you via pop3 or imap that there are no messages in the
mailbox, then this is not a fetchmail problem; try the uw-imap mailing list.

If you're just using an INBOX for temporary storage and pulling mail across,
then probably POP3 is a simpler solution anyway.

one intresting line in fetchmail -V :
Default mailbox selected

what is this default mailbox, what is it's location, and how to I force it to
look at /var/spool/mail/mbox?

Nothing to do with fetchmail, which doesn't know anything about the
filesystem on the server machine.

Brian.