Re: [fetchmail]Re: fetchmail + Outlook

2004-06-05 19:49:09
Hello,

My setup which I'm very happy with:
RH 9.0
MTA: qmail+spamassassin+clamav (from the qmailrocks setup so this includes courrier pop/imap)
MDA: fetchmail, procmail (hmm ... is fetchmail an MDA?)
MUA: Thunderbird 0.6

Anyway, fetchmail polls various pop e-mail accounts and delivers to qmail locally. Mail is scanned for threats and tagged for anoyances, and passes on to procmail. Procmail scans the message headers (looking for lists and so on) and then delivers to a folder under the INBOX as appropriate. Firebird is configured to only connect via IMAP (actually IMAPS) so I read my mail securely and it stays on the server; I don't have mutiple copies of messages on various machines ... yea!

It's all pretty complicated I guess. I've been working on it for months to get it to this point. Most of it's been a learning experience. Everything I have is out there on the net so there's no deep magic, except for maybe my .promailrc, which took a bit of research, digging and my own creativity.

Suerta,

Bill

P.S. Sorry for the top post

Chris Bartram wrote:

Message: 1
From: "Nikhil Parva" <nikhil(_at_)fleetship(_dot_)com>
To: "Rob" <rob_macgregor(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>, <fetchmail-friends(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org>
Subject: RE: [fetchmail]fetchmail + Outlook
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 18:00:46 -0700

Sooo, here we go !

Linux server : Redhat 9.0
Samba 2.2

Windows client: Windows 2000
Microsoft Outlook 2000

I have solved the previous problem, now there is a new problem. When I click
on Send receive in Outlook, it synchronizes perfectly without an error
message, but no messages are downloaded !

I have all the messages stored in /home/nikhil folder but unable to download
it using Outlook.

I think there's something wrong here, unless I'm seriously misunderstanding. Fetchmail should get the messages, and deliver them to your local MTA on the linux box (probably either sendmail or postfix). This will then deliver the mail to your local account on the Redhat box. The bit that seems wrong is that they would then be left in '/var/spool/mail/nikhil' , and then when you sync up with Outlook (horrible mail client , by the way!) the POP3 daemon on the RH box grabs them from there. The only way I can see them being anywhere in your home folder is if you've read them with a conventional unix mail client on the RH box- read messages will go into '/home/nikhil/mail' (or similar) and won't get picked up with POP3. If that is what you have done, try not doing it. Get soem mail from the remote server, don't read it on the RH box, and then fire up outlook.

Logs : /var/log/maillog
Jun 5 18:09:14 localhost ipop3d[6776]: pop3 service init from 172.16.0.98 Jun 5 18:09:14 localhost ipop3d[6776]: Login user=nikhil host=[172.16.0.98]
nmsgs=0/0
Jun  5 18:09:14 localhost ipop3d[6776]: Logout user=nikhil
host=[172.16.0.98] nmsgs=0 ndele=0

Can someone help please.

rgds,
Nikhil