RE: [fetchmail]Re: Re: WHERE ALL EMAILS GONE?

2004-07-20 06:05:38
From: Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle(_at_)freenet(_dot_)de>

If fetchmail can not deliver messages because there is no diskspace,
or the $USER does not exist, fetchmail writes to the defailt mailbox
for example "postmaster". if "postmaser" or an alias does not exist,
fetchmail tries to write to "/var/mail/root" if it is run from root.
Normaly an Error log entry and leafe the message on the server as
unfetched.

I strongly suggest you RTFM:

As each message is retrieved fetchmail normally delivers it via SMTP to port 25 on the machine it is running on (localhost), just as though it were being passed in over a normal TCP/IP link. The mail will then be delivered locally via your system’s MDA (Mail Delivery Agent, usually sendmail(8) but your system may use a different one such as smail, mmdf, exim, or qmail). All the delivery-control mechanisms (such as .forward files) normally available through your system MDA and local delivery agents will therefore work automatically.

Now you have run fetchmail as $USER, where it can not write to
"postmaster" and "root".

See above. By default I don't run fetchmail as root but as an unpriviledged user, I've no problems with delivery to any account.

So I am thinking, fetchmail has deletetd the messages, because you
have used the "flush" option.

Nope, if delivery has not succeeded then fetchmail will not delete the mail, unless it's in response to an antispam code (which by default is not set, so by default emails will never be deleted unfetched).

 Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
      Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?