[fetchmail]Making ODMR work with my mail server

2004-08-10 19:38:31
I know this question is a little vague, but I'm not looking at step by
step instructions so much as a pointer in the general direction I ought
to take.

In broad terms, how do you get ODMR working on both ends (ie., on both
the mail server on the net and the dynamic IP machine running
fetchmail)?

I have a gnu/linux box at home, sitting behind a NAT router, on a cable
modem with a dynamic IP and a filtered SMTP port.  I want to get mail on
to that box.

I'd like to do it in a way that's consistent with the traditional unix
mail model -- every account has a mail address like
user(_at_)home(_dot_)mydomain(_dot_)com, and commands like "ls -l | mailx -s ls
alex"
work the way they're supposed to.

I also have a gnu/linux virtual private server account.  Right now it's
running sendmail, because that's what I'm used to, but I can change that
if I have to.

I found this page:

http://www.plonk.de/sw/odmr/

Which has a perl script that implements an ODMRd.  I don't know if it's
the only ODMRd out there, if it's a good one, or anything else about
it.

But that page makes me think that I ought to replace sendmail with exim4
on my vps account, install the perl script mentioned above, and use
fetchmail on the home box to get the mail for my home machine on to the
system.

Am I on the right track here?  Is there a better way to do it?