Re: [fetchmail]Re: Requesting e-mail from user(_at_)server(_dot_)com from server pop.server.com is not working

2004-09-09 14:51:24
Dear Michelle,

I've been testing your configuration with no success. Let's
see. The configuration should be:

user name: qduran(_at_)jazzfree(_dot_)com
pop server: pop.jazzfree.com

Then I've readapted your configuration to:

set no bouncemail

poll pop.jazzfree.com protocol POP3 auth cram-md5
   username 'qduran(_at_)jazzfree(_dot_)com' is qduran password XXXX
fetchall

The running the command 'fetchmail -V' I get is:

[...]
Fetchmail will direct error mail to the postmaster.
Options for retrieving from qduran(_at_)jazzfree(_dot_)com@pop.jazzfree.
com:
  True name of server is pop.jazzfree.com.
  Protocol is POP3.
  CRAM-Md5 authentication will be forced.
[...]

See carfully the username of the second line: fetchmail is
concatenating the name of the server to the user name. This
should be and expected behaviour ? Almost in this case, no.

Then when I fetch the mail I get the output (fetchmail -v):

fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying pop.jazzfree.com (protocol POP3) at
Mon 06 Sep 2004 11:47:40 PM CEST: poll started
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Hello there.
fetchmail: POP3> AUTH CRAM-MD5
fetchmail: POP3< +
PEFENTAxMzVENjhCQzM5RUY5MzBCQkYyRDc1RDZBNjFGQHBvcDI+
fetchmail: POP3>
cWR1cmFuQGphenpmcmVlLmNvbSA2ZDQwNmQzZjcyNTk0NmI0ZWRkNWU1Y2VmMj
ZmZDc5Mw==
fetchmail: POP3< -ERR Login failed.
fetchmail: Login failed.
fetchmail: Authorization failure on qduran(_at_)jazzfree(_dot_)com@pop.
jazzfree.com
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Better luck next time.
fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying pop.jazzfree.com (protocol POP3) at
Mon 06 Sep 2004 11:47:46 PM CEST: poll completed
fetchmail: Query status=3 (AUTHFAIL)
fetchmail: normal termination, status 3

In the authorization line, fetchmail is also concatenating the
name of the server to the user name. So the POP3 server is
rejecting the connection due to an invalid user (the server is
working fine).

So, based on the contents of your e-mail, that your are
fetching from for user user(_at_)isp(_dot_)com from pop.isp.com, I think
that the person that build the .rpm package added this bug to
the fetchmail.

What do you thing about it? I'm waiting for your answer.

Joaquim Duran
Thanks and best regards,

Hello Joaquim,

Dear all,
I should configure the fetchmail to identify the user as
qduran(_at_)jazzfree(_dot_)com and POP3 server 'pop.jazzfree.com', but
the user is identified as qduran(_at_)pop(_dot_)jazzfree(_dot_)com(_dot_)

set no bouncemail
poll jazzfree.com via pop.jazzfree.com protocol POP3 auth
cram-md5
   username "qduran" is qduran password "XXXX" fetchall
             ^^^^^^^
What about:
poll jazzfree.com protocol POP3 auth cram-md5
    username 'qduran(_at_)pop(_dot_)jazzfree(_dot_)com' is qduran password
"XXXX" fetchall
I must do this at one of my ISP's too
Greetings
Michelle