[fetchmail]Fetchmail and BTYahoo Broadband (BTOpenworld / BTInternet)

2004-10-20 15:36:17
Greetings,

I have just subscribed to this mailing list so please be indulgent if you have
heard this info before ... I just cannot find anything pertaining to this on
the net (probably because it only applies to BTInternet).

My ISP is BTYahoo and they provide a POP3 email account which I configured
fetchmail to download messges from but I wanted to keep the messages on the
server so specified the following in the fetchmailrc:

poll mail.btinternet.com with proto POP3 user
phantompgr(_at_)btopenworld(_dot_)com there
with password <PASSWORD> is <LOCALUSER> here
options keep antispam 501

This works with the exception that no messages were being delivered but all
were being skipped!! This includes those messages that were just sent, ie.
test messages I had not seen. Odd and very frustrating!! Keepall is
sufficient but as I like to access mail at work as well then it is somewhat
limiting.

Here is the odd part. I found that my wife's mail account downloads without
problems hence it must be a BTYahoo setting not fetchmail. BTYahoo has a
SpamGuard facility which checks mails and then places known spam into a bulk
folder. I turned this off but had no effect. I removed all messages from the
bulk folder (using the BTYahoo web interface to my mailbox) and suddenly
messages are being downloaded again!!

Any thoughts or ideas on rather odd behaviour, let me know as I am now
intrigued.....

(A log file of the skipped attempts is included below for reference. The 5
seen messages include 2 messages that were sent from my mail client to myself
and had not been read by anything except facilities on BTYahoo.)

Regards

P. G. Richardson
phantompgr(_at_)btopenworld(_dot_)com
Paul(_dot_)G(_dot_)Richardson(_at_)logicacmg(_dot_)com

fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying mail.btinternet.com (protocol POP3) at Wed 20 Oct
2004
 23:14:37 BST: poll started
fetchmail: POP3< +OK hello from popgate(2.27.5)
fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
fetchmail: POP3< -ERR popgate unknown command
fetchmail: POP3< +OK hello from popgate(2.27.5)
fetchmail: POP3> USER phantompgr(_at_)btopenworld(_dot_)com
fetchmail: POP3< +OK password required.
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< +OK maildrop ready, 5 messages (21583 octets) (2533425
21474836
48)
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 5 21583
fetchmail: POP3> LAST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 5
5 messages (5 seen) for phantompgr(_at_)btopenworld(_dot_)com at
mail.btinternet.com
(21583
 octets).
skipping message phantompgr(_at_)btopenworld(_dot_)com@mail.btinternet.com:1
not flushed
skipping message phantompgr(_at_)btopenworld(_dot_)com@mail.btinternet.com:2
not flushed
skipping message phantompgr(_at_)btopenworld(_dot_)com@mail.btinternet.com:3
not flushed
skipping message phantompgr(_at_)btopenworld(_dot_)com@mail.btinternet.com:4
not flushed
skipping message phantompgr(_at_)btopenworld(_dot_)com@mail.btinternet.com:5
not flushed
fetchmail: POP3> QUIT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK server signing off.
fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying mail.btinternet.com (protocol POP3) at Wed 20 Oct
2004
 23:14:41 BST: poll completed
fetchmail: normal termination, status 1