RE: [fetchmail]Socket Error

2004-11-22 08:00:22
Message: 4
From: "Lucky Me" <neiman007(_at_)hotpop(_dot_)com>
To: <fetchmail-friends(_at_)lists(_dot_)ccil(_dot_)org>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:24:04 -0600
Subject: [fetchmail]Socket Error

Using Fetchmail 6.2.5
Am currently using SuSe Linux 9.1, but have also tried SuSe 8.1 and Fedora
Core 2.

On a tip I have already tried "echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_timestamps"
with no success.

And from the results of a google search, I have tried adjusting the mtu and
mru settings in the /etc/ppp/options file with no success.

I am using Fetchmail with Postfix as the MTA. When fetchmail is working, it
works great and postfix drops the mail in the correct inbox. The problem is
that fetmail will hang up on an email and give a:

"fetchmail: socket error while fetching from mail.server.com".

No mail will be retrieved after the socket error. My .fetchmailrc file
created with fetchmailconf looks like this:

set postmaster "postmaster"
set nobouncemail
set no spambounce
set properties ""
poll mail.server.com with proto POP3
user 'mailuser' there with password '******' is "mailuser" here

postfix will also give a message after the fetchmail socket error of:

"postfix/smtpd[3695]: lost connection after DATA from localhost[127.0.0.1]"

I noticed it hung on the same spam message two different times, so maybe it
is a problem with the type or formating of the email.

A windows mail client has no problem retrieving the mail from the POP3
server.

My Linux box is behind a firewall, are there any ports I should open or
forward to the Linux box to diagnose the problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Message: 7