[fetchmail]fetchmail 6.2.6-pre9 released - please test

2005-08-01 19:48:59

I have released a new fetchmail snapshot, 6.2.6-pre9, available from:

<http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1824&release_id=6730>

mirror: <http://home.pages.de/~mandree/fetchmail/>

Please test, particularly if you're running a multidrop setup.

Also, we still need translators, we have some old translations that need
to be updated and aren't enabled by default, but new translations will
also be welcome. Contact me if you're interested and fetchmail doesn't
currently ship with a translation into your favorite language.

Notes:

This release has fairly large internal cleanups - I decided to get rid
of the obsolete inet6_apps/inner_connect/ipv6-connect code rather than
carrying it into a new release - the "--netsec" and "-T" options are now
gone. The INET6_ENABLE code was also simplified, everything is now a
"service" internally, port is converted into service, although this
should be transparent.

There will be some more IPv6 awareness fixes, too many places still use
the hardcoded IPv4-only gethostbyname function, so we'll have one or two
more releases down the road before calling out for other release
candidates.

Summarized changes:

    * The multidrop code was severely broken in several places:

          o a fairly fundamental RFC822 parser bug was fixed that
            stripped the last character of bare addresses
            i. e. addresses without <> angle brackets (from
            unrecognized domains in multidrop mode.

          o The multidrop IP address matching code was broken and
            checked only the first address of the configured servername
            against the aliases of the domain found in the envelope.

          o The multidrop MX matching code was broken and didn't resolve
            the MX hosts into IP addresses.

    * The netsec and -T options are gone, corresponding code was
      removed. See Notes above.

    * The gettext code (intl/ directory) was removed from the fetchmail
      package and, if NLS is desired, needs to be installed separately
      before fetchmail is built.

    * The default distribution format has been switched to bzip2.

    * The Python script is now optimized, byte-compiled and installed
      into the Python site-packages directory.

    * Some internal code shuffling and cleanups.

- --
Matthias Andree