[fetchmail]Re: [fetchmail-users] fetchmail 6.2.9-rc3 available

2005-09-19 18:36:13
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Thomas Wolff wrote:

I seek everyone to test it out, report remaining bugs, update outdated
translations or send patches for documentation or report inconsistencies
(including formatting!) in the documentation.

The following error remains on SunOS:
gcc -I/home/demsn702/opt/openssl-0.9.8/include -I/usr/kerberos/include
-g -O2 -L/home/demsn702/opt/openssl-0.9.8/lib  -o fetchmail  socket.o
getpass.o pop2.o pop3.o imap.o etrn.o odmr.o fetchmail.o env.o idle.o
options.o daemon.o driver.o transact.o sink.o smtp.o uid.o mxget.o
md5ify.o cram.o kerberos.o gssapi.o opie.o rpa.o interface.o netrc.o
unmime.o conf.o checkalias.o smbdes.o smbencrypt.o smbmd4.o smbutil.o
lock.o rcfile_l.o rcfile_y.o norm_charmap.o getaddrinfo.o getnameinfo.o
libfm.a  stpcpy.o  -lnsl -lsocket  -lintl -lresolv -lssl -lcrypto
dlclose
/home/demsn702/lib/libcrypto.a(dso_dlfcn.o)  (symbol belongs to implicit
dependency /usr/lib/libdl.so.1)

Does adding -ldl to LIBS or LDFLAGS help?

Also, as I had noted before, fetchmail --ssl apparently depends on
IMAPS being known to the system as a service - probably by listing it
in /etc/services. If this is not the case, getaddrinfo will fail.
Now fetchmail seems to be the only tool that enables command line users
to set up a working mail environment on a system which is not
otherwise administrated for handling mail (together with ssmtp).
Thus it should not depend on proper system configuration in any respect -

Well, fetchmail isn't supported to work on arbitrarily broken systems
that are years past their end of life. Let's see if we can get it to
work without hardcoding this information...

it should work even if getaddrinfo does not "know" IMAPS!

...so does it work to specify the port explicitly on the command line?
"--port 993" should work. I don't feel like hacking port numbers in
opaque data - that is not the intention of protocol independence
patches.