Re: [fetchmail]multi-hop ssh

2005-11-15 15:56:37
On 15/11/05, Derek Broughton <auspex(_at_)pointerstop(_dot_)ca> wrote:
Due to "issues" with the $%^*!(_at_)#  firewall at my client's site, I can't
get
out to my mailbox, directly.  So, I'm trying to use fetchmail via ssh in
two hops. This works from home:
  poll pointerstop.ca with proto imap
    plugin "ssh pointers(_at_)%h /usr/sbin/imapd" auth ssh
    user "pointers"

and this works (as user fetchmail)  from the client's site:
  ssh  derek(_at_)io(_dot_)acad(_dot_)athabascau(_dot_)ca \
    'ssh pointers(_at_)pointerstop(_dot_)ca /usr/sbin/imapd'
and seems to meet the criteria for a plugin: I can give it imap commands on
stdin and get results on stdout.  The ssh keys are configured correctly so
that no passwords are requested.

But this  doesn't:
  poll pointerstop.ca with proto imap
    plugin "ssh derek(_at_)io(_dot_)acad(_dot_)athabascau(_dot_)ca \
      'ssh  pointers(_at_)pointerstop(_dot_)ca /usr/sbin/imapd'"
      auth ssh
    user "pointers"

Syslog shows:
  socket error while fetching from pointerstop.ca

What am I doing wrong?  Is there some really good reason why I can't do it?

I think you're doing something nobody else has tried :-)

You may need to write a script as the plugin, maybe calling a script
on the intermediate host.  It could be that the nesting is the
problem.

--
                 Please keep list traffic on the list.
Rob MacGregor