Re: [fetchmail]comcast.net and attachments - workaround

2006-01-03 17:16:30
On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 04:43:28PM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
In the meanwhile, please complain to comcast.net for violating the POP3
standard, which states expressis verbis that the full message is to be
fetched if the number passed to TOP exceeds the actual number of lines
in the message.

That would be a waste of time.  After all, it works fine with all the
normal Windows clients.  I've not had great luck with Comcast's
infrastructure team even when they've been clearly wrong.  Some other
server admins have been much better (Home Depot, for example, fixed
their web site not long after I complained).

In my opinion, we (the Linux community) need to spend more time working
around broken implementations and less time standing on our podiums
claiming we're right.  I know it's disgusting, but unfortunately we're
propogating the attitudes that Windows works better than Linux, because
in this case, it does.  My Windows clients work fine (which is how I
narrowed it down to fetchmail), my Linux one doesn't (until I
implemented my workaround), yet the server is unlikely to change.  We
can say we're right (and we are) but in the end, we're stuck with
software that won't work, broken or not.

I do see that fetchmail will be fixed to work better in cases like this
so I'm not putting you in the same camp as some other Linux developers
I've run into.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, RHCE