Re: [fetchmail]Domino IMAP and missing Content-Transfer-Encoding

2006-02-16 09:42:44
Anthony Kim wrote:
I'm having a problem with missing Content-Transfer-Encoding
headers.  The server is Domino IMAP4 Server Release 6.5.4FP1.

Domino has had some major problems with MIME in the past (see
contrib/domino in the source tree); it's possible that this hasn't been
fixed yet.

When reading email via IMAP, everything appears normal.  However,
after fetchmail retrieves the message, I lose the
Content-Transfer-Encoding header and often mails end up looking like
garbage (many =3D=3D=3D etc)

The =3D is raw quoted-printable, seen when the client doesn't know that
the message is is quoted-printable encoded.

Curiously, I ran tcpdump and it appears that during the RFC822
HEADER fetch, the Content-Transfer-Encoding is not retrieved:

May I direct you to "fetchmail -v -v"?  :-)  It's a bit easier to read
than tcpdump.

Another odd thing, if I manually add the Content-Transfer-Encoding
header and copy the mail back to the IMAP server and re-retrieve it
using fetchmail, the header is successfully retained.

Specifics depend on how you copy the message back, but it definitely
sounds like a Domino bug.

I don't know why this is happening.  If I can read the header via
IMAP, why wouldn't fetchmail retrieve it?  Is it a phantom header?
Any ideas?

It's not a phantom.  I'm unclear on exactly what you mean by you reading
the message via IMAP, but I'm guessing you maually do an IMAP FETCH.
Fetchmail, however, adds options to the FETCH -- for the headers, it adds
"RFC822.HEADER" to the command.  Apparently Domino is omitting the
Content-Transfer-Encoding when asked for RFC822 format.

I searched both Google and IBM, and unfortunately didn't find anything
directly relevant to this problem.  If you're the admin of the Domino
server you might want to ask IBM about it.

Also please note that the ccil.org mailing lists are deprecated, and
replaced by the mailing lists at berlios.de, e.g.: