Re: [fetchmail]Leave POP3 server flags alone for webmail niceness

2006-03-20 21:52:11
"Paul Stranos" <paul_workterm(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com> writes:

This is Fetchmail 6.2.5 against a GMX.de StreamProxy POP3 server.

Please update fetchmail to 6.3.2 or newer (if available at the time of
check) as soon as possible. See <http://fetchmail.berlios.de/>

After running fetchmail, all the messages in my inbox (viewed via GMX
webmail) are marked read.  I notice fetchmail is using RETR, but I
think the docs imply it should use TOP (unless, perhaps, it's using
KEEP to leave messages on the server?).

fetchmail 6.2.5 is outdated, has known security bugs (unless your vendor
patched them) and is no longer supported.  With a more recent fetchmail
version, set "protocol POP3" and also set "options uidl" (before and
user options).  I've never tested if GMX can be cheated like you suggest
though, or if they'll mark the message read in spite of "TOP", this
behavior isn't specified by the POP3 standard anyways.
(Unfortunately, IMAP is a paid service with GMX, unlike POP3.)

fetchmail 6.3.3, due out in March 2006, will document the RETR vs. TOP
in detail (incentive to update).

Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special
[...]

Please do not spam the lists with such advertising. The signature gets
excessively long, too. You may not see these footers when sending
your message - consider using other access that does not add such.