Re: [fetchmail]Nothing logged into log file.

2006-07-28 10:38:15
Gerard Seibert <gerard(_at_)seibercom(_dot_)net> writes:

This is the output of 'fetchmail -V'

fetchmail: WARNING: Running as root is discouraged.
This is fetchmail release 6.3.4+POP2+RPA+SDPS+SSL+OPIE+NLS.

FreeBSD seibercom.net 6.1-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p3 #0: Sat Jul
8 04:30:13 EDT 2006
ges(_at_)seibercom(_dot_)net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SEIBERCOM
i386

# Configuration created Sun Jun 25 13:57:54 2006 by fetchmailconf 1.52
$Revision: 4740 $

set logfile "/usr/home/ges/logs/fetchmail.log"
set postmaster "postmaster"
set bouncemail
set no spambounce
set properties ""
set daemon 900

I created the log file, gave it 0666 permission and changed file and
group ownership to fetchmail respectively. Still, there is nothing ever
written to the file. Any logging that is done goes to the system
/var/mail/maillog log. Other than that, everything works fine.

What am I doing wrong here?

The FreeBSD rc.d script passes the --syslog option to fetchmail, which
takes precedence over the configuration file.

You need to edit /usr/local/etc/rc.d/fetchmail* to change that.

CC'ing Simon Barner (FreeBSD port maintainer), to whom I suggest
allowing different logging locations than just syslog, or to allow
custom flags to be passed to fetchmail (so that --nosyslog could
override the default).

Note that the ccil.org lists are obsolete. The new lists are described
in the "Getting help with fetchmail" section at
http://www.fetchmail.info/