[fetchmail]Re: Getting Postfix to add header info for fetchmail

2006-08-14 09:53:54
Dale Pontius schrieb:
The problem is that my family receives mail through multidrop, she sends
email to multiple family members, and her machine shares a domain name
with my LAN. In addition, I have a forwarding domain at DynDNS.org that
both she and my family use, and that name corresponds to the LAN names
for all of our machines. Therefore here Postfix won't send email to my
family, because it thinks the mail is local. I could set up an alias to
send email directly to my ISP account, but then it appears that all
multidrop information is lost.

So I think the question is: How do I get Postfix to add the right
headers so that multidrop can figure out who gets a piece of mail?

The good thing is, if ALL received messages pass through the same Postfix
box, it's trivial, as any halfway recent Postfix version (2.2.X for sure)
will add, upon delivery (ok, this isn't 100% accurate), one Delivered-To:
and one X-Original-To: header. There are subtle differences in semantics WRT
forwarding and rewriting, but I'm confident one of these headers will suit
your needs.

See fetchmail's "envelope" configuration keyword to point it towards the
right header.

I've done some command line experiments, and on the first "Received:"
line, where Postfix gets the mail from the 'mail' command, there is no
"for grandson(_at_)family(_dot_)org" so there is no information for fetchmail
to do
multidrop.

Using Received: headers for multidrop is ill-advised, quite picky about
formatting (more documentation to show in 6.3.5's manual page), and I
wouldn't recommend doing that if you can help it.

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question. Maybe rather than adding header
information there's some way to tell Postfix that half of this domain is
here, and half is over there. I'll be at her house in the next few
weeks, and would like to try and fix this up locally. (While I'm busy
bringing her up to date - she gets security updates only from 600+ miles
away.)

Well, transport_maps (see: man 5 transport) may help you out, but you may
need to configure the complete domain with complementary routing information
(local vs. smtp) on both sides. This goes way beyond the topic of the list,
so may I suggest that you read up on the pointers I've given and then ask
the Postfix setup details on the postfix-users list?

Please join the fetchmail-users list at berlios.de, too. see
www.fetchmail.info for links.