Re: How to handle a lot of character set Content-types

1991-05-07 05:44:07
Bob Smart writes, in part....

The users might like to get a new UA that
understands that, or they might like to have the message pre-processed
so that they can keep using their existing UA. There are various styles
in which this might be done and you might like to consider which if any
are acceptable.

I think much confusion is caused by attempts to project the OSI/X4.00
model and terminology onto the Internet SMTP environment, which was
designed around a very different model--different in its layering and
different in how far it presumes to reach into the local environment.

The original internet/smtp model:
  user-mail-writing-program -> sending-UA               (1)
   ->                                                   (2)
  receiving-server -> user-mail-reading program         (3)

   Note no sending MTA and no receiving UA.  And no joining together of
the user-mail-reader/writer and the UA, either, which is an important
reality in how we think about these things and how users think about
them, even if that interface is, if you will, at the subroutine level.

The current one
  user-mail-writer-> sending-UA -> sending-MTA           (1)
  ->   { relay-MTA | gateway-MTA .... } ->               (2)
  receiving-MTA -> receiving-UA -> user-mail-reader      (3)

{  Aside: there are several reasons for making the UA/mail-reader
distinction.  One of them is that it is extremely useful in thinking
about the authority and behavior of things that look like individual
mailboxes but are really mailing lists.  If you think about them *as*
individual mailboxes under the control/authority of a UA which is, in
turn, acting as agent for a list administrator who could be sitting
there typing "forward" or "resend", you avoid a lot of tedious
discussions about what "else" you will let an MTA do if you let the MTA
do "that".  Others involve having one functional interface and several
user interfaces. This is why models are important.  But, IMHO, it
doesn't belong on this list, at least not now, unless it actively
intrudes on the network transport or format of mail.  }

Now we have very carefully avoided, up to this point, writing any
specifications at all about what happens intra-(1) or intra-(3).
Partially that has been a matter of how Internet protocols have always
been written.  But it has also been one of the things that has permitted
the transition between those two models without massive disruption.
Until something moves into the network (2), the RFCs are silent and as
soon as something moves out of the network, they become silent again.

And that--quite independent of anything in OSI--has led to two implicit
doctrines which amount to maximum transparancy in the network (2), and a
"what you do for (or to) your users is between you and them" theory
about (1) and (3).  It is also the case that, since we don't specify the
intra-host relationships, there are probably a dozen alternative models
for (1) and (3) that are functionally equivalent as far as the network
(and RFCs) are concerned.  For example, I've found it useful in some
contexts (both explanation and implementation) to talk about
  receiving-MTA -> mail-delivery-agent -> receiving-UA -> ...

These distinctions make it locally possible to be clear about who is
doing what to whom, to better model access of system administrators to
mail functions and text, and so on.  But, from the standpoint of the
RFCs, all of this is just guidance:  what happens intra-host may be
incredibly stupid, but it cannot attain the status of "broken" until it
crosses into the network.

I think it is as important to preserve the principle of "RFCs, keep your
requirements off what happens inside my host" is as important as trying
to preserve principles about--and be extremely careful about--the
transitions/ transformations that are permitted to occur in the network
transport process ((2) above).

{ Example: many Internet hosts have discovered that users prefer to
type "remote-user(_at_)foo(_dot_)bitnet" to typing, e.g.,
remote-user%foo(_dot_)bitnet(_at_)gatewaydomain(_dot_)  Many do the rewrite
automatically.  Some of us consider it stupid to give into this because
it has nasty effects in terms of what users think their addresses are,
ability to preserve addressing modes as users switch hosts, etc.  But
that is just a matter of opinion and personal bias (religion, if you
prefer) as long as all the rewrites work correctly and no message that
contains either a source or destination address in a form that makes
".bitnet" look like a top-level domain.  If it *does* escape, then the
mail system on the sending host is broken and needs to be fixed--
whether by "correcting" user behavior or "correcting" the rewrite
environment is, again, a local problem. }

While, IMHO, the questions of intra-host relationships are extremely
interesting, the implication of the above is that raising them on this
list just creates confusion.  My jumping on the issue of rewriting
sender addresses a few weeks ago was, to some degree, a manifestation of
that confusion: I thought the discussion was about relays, and responded
on that basis.  For the final destination MTA: mostly your problem.  The
qualifications "to some degree" and "mostly" are deliberate: it would be
possible, in the above model, to write a rule that said "senders MUST
send only validated addresses, receivers SHOULD verify that those
addresses are valid and should reject messages that are don't contain
value sender information".  But, regardless of the technical and moral
problems with such a rule, the point is that we don't have one.

So, please... we really have enough real problems in mail formats and
mail transport, let's take these local-host issues and speculations
elsewhere.
    --john