DISCUSSION: Richmail - structure, not formatting

1991-06-14 02:44:53

Just to add my little push to the direction Richmail currently seems
to be taking:

I would find some simple way to indicate the structure of a document
much more useful than some way to transmit the formatting. It's
somewhat like sending source instead of binaries. :-)

The structure may then be interpreted and formatted on a local,
user-by-user, or adapted-to-equipment basis.

Take this more as an example than an proposal:

Keyword                 Possible interpretation
%Header1( ... )         bigger & bold, centered
%Header2( ... )         bigger, centered
%Header3( ... )         bold

%Quote( ... )           italic, left and right indent

%Stress( ... )          bold or underlined (an important word)
%Foreign( ... )         italic (a word or phrase in a foreign language,
                                a reference to a program langage token
                                in plain text, etc..)

%Code( ... )            Always use fixed-width font. (Program code examples)

%ListItem( ... )        Bullet list item.

%Header2(Some examples of usage:)

Remember that the back-up tape %Stress(has) to be removed before boot.
This is what we call %Foreign(Bysen), a creature from old folk tales.
It is very har do use %Foreign(signal%(%)) for any kind of proper
process communikation...
And then I run the counter backwards, something like this:
%Code(
for %(i = MAXSIZE; i >= 0 ; i--%) {
        do_it_right%(i%);
}
)

I think this makes more sense than simply indicating this or that
word should be bold or italic.

What do you think? Is it possible to find a small set of around a dozen
keywords that catches 90% of what the users want?

                                                /mats
     _
Mats Ohrman     Scandinavian System Support AB       E-mail:
matoh(_at_)sssab(_dot_)se
                Box 535    _                      Telephone:  +46 13 11 16 60
                581 06 Linkoping, Sweden            Telefax:  +46 13 11 51 93