religious wars

1991-06-26 13:43:52
The problem is that we have seen ample, persuasive, evidence that
the "no conversion" rule, no matter how it is written, is going to be
ignored in some cases.

I have become convinced, through silence and avoidance of reading all
this XXXX effluvia, that it is hopeless to deal with the 8-7 encoding
anywhere but at the original UA posting point.  PERIOD.  FULL STOP.

In other words, most of the world should stop sending mail to those
stuck in 7-bit land?   This 'when can you do encoding' thread is sounding
more and more like it is leading back to the 7-bit/8-bit religious wars.

So, what we need now is some strength of resolve on the part of the
IETF and the IAB to declare that THIS IS INTERNET OPERATIONAL POLICY,
and that anyone who does otherwise is in fact IN VIOLATION OF THE
INTERNET STANDARDS.

If the IETF and IAB will make such a declaration, then I beleive it
will be quite reasonable to self police operational conformance.

Whoa, reality check.  The time has long since passed when either the IETF
or the IAB determined policy in the TCP/IP world.  *Millions* of customers
with checks in their hands buying networking software necessary to their
businesses determine policy.

If we can succeed in building a mail system which allows new, wonderful
email features without breaking all those folk using 7-bit UA/MTAs and all
those folk usings 8-bit UA/MTAs then people will build it and sell it and
buy it and use it.  If we just say, 'oh, by the way, you'll have to discard
your existing 8-bit internetwork', RFC-XXXX will join hundreds of other well
intentioned RFCs on the scrap heap of history.

enjoy,
leo j mclaughlin iii
ljm(_at_)ftp(_dot_)com