Re: 7/8-bit conversion vs. bouncing

1991-07-01 15:56:02
Ok, I need to get my flame-proof mail on...

Ned is saying that we should not complicate things for the multipart
people, in requiring things on them due to 8-bit mail.

I would argue the other way around....
Depends on your interests, it seems.

I see 8-bit mail as a natural way to extent internet mailings for
plain mail, the prime goal of mail. And this is to be done in the
area I live, namely Europe - and it is also needed many other places.
Multipart mail is a feinsmecker thing to me, I have never had the use
for it and most of my customers do not burn for it either.

I think that many of my fellow European collegues feel the same
like me, this was stated explicitely at the NETF meeting in Stockholm
(where the multipart messaging was simply explicitely removed from
the agenda because of lack of interest) and many other times from
Europeans.

I know that we are only Europeans and that other people
may think otherwise.

But I will *not* ask for the IETF to consider the multipart issue
for a less interesting issue and thus of less importance that
the 8-bit mail - (which must not just be seen as an *enclave*
issue, unless you want to see the whole of Europe being one big
enclave with a lot of gateways...). I just will ask you all to consider
the 8-bit mail a legitimate and natural Internet protocol - if the internet
is ever going to be meaning something related to "international".

And from this requirement I request the engineering people of the
multipart stuff to apply their greatest skills in designing
a multipart specification that is open to the (8-bit) world.

Keld