fun with header syntax

1991-07-09 14:44:52
Not that I'm not thrilled by all the joys of 8-bit headers and so forth,
but here's a brief digression into something completely different...

1. How many people have noticed that it appears to be perfectly legal for
an RFC822 message to contain more than one Message-ID header?

2. What fraction of software that is cognizant of message IDs will actually
deal with this correctly (at a minimum, without dumping core!)?

3. Is this considered desirable, or is it worth fixing in the 822 revision?

As you might expect, this came up in dealing with Yet Another Pathological
News Article which landed on 822's doorstep by way of 1036.  It can, and
probably will, be dealt with in the forthcoming 1036 revision as far as
news goes, but it was enough of a surprise to me that I thought it might
be worth raising in the 822 context.

                                         Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology

henry(_at_)zoo(_dot_)toronto(_dot_)edu   utzoo!henry