Re: Character-set header

1991-09-03 23:06:58
Ned writes:
Erik M. van der Poel writes:
So let's suppose some piece of software adds the ASCII label to a
message. When it passes through an ASCII->EBCDIC gateway which hasn't
been updated yet, the label will still say ASCII, even though the
message is in EBCDIC.

Congratulations -- you are now face-to-face with the problem I've been
grappling with for some time.

Um, this is not the first time that I bring this one up.

John Klensin and I have batted this one around offline a bit, but
since it has no effect on the Internet proper (an EBCDIC gateway is
not, properly speaking, a concern of the Internet) we have not
discussed it on the list.  I don't propose we start now -- this list
is busy enough, and apart from making sure that the necessary
infrastructure gateways need is present I don't think this sort of
stuff is an appropriate topic for this list.

There is quite a lot of email traffic between the Internet and BITNET,
so any change to the Internet email message format is going to affect
both nets. If the people on this list are responsible for RFC-XXXX, I
would think that this list is the right place to discuss this issue.

(Not that I have any answers, of course. My only suggestion is to set
up a coordinated, scheduled migration plan. I have made this
suggestion before.)

Regards,
EvdP