Re: POINT OF ORDER - multiple types

1991-09-17 15:51:32
Bill Janssen writes:

I didn't mean to say that the Content-type header was useless, but that
the "type" field of the Content-type header would become useless,

This is what I understood you to mean.  I don't agree.  I think it is
useful to branch here and see if the application is supported.  If not, the
resources don't really matter.  If so, the application can check for the
appropriate resources.

Yes, there is an extra burden of finding the several types in the
comma-separated list.

This wasn't the burden I had in mind.

I'm claiming that this kind of case will become
common as more mixed-media formats are used in the world -- it shouldn't
be regarded as peculiar to Andrew format.  Think of

for instance.

I think image/postscript is all that's necessary.  Mixed-media formats
sent as a single bodypart are going to require application software to
handle them.  I'd prefer to hand them off at the top-level and let that
software go to work.

I still don't see the advantage.  Any multi-media application should take
care of checking out the necessary resources.  What are you buying here?

The ability for the mail reader to know, without having to understand
the format, what resources are necessary for the user to work with this
message.

I guess we just disagree about where you check for which resource.

Jim