SMTP/8 and 822/8 ... Questions and Answers (cont. 1)

1991-09-27 12:02:31
I have received a number of public and private comments on my original
SMTP/8 and 822/8 posting.  Let me attempt to answer the major comment:

*  These ideas have been discussed on these lists before.  Why are you
*  bringing them up again?

Engineering solutions are not matters of absolutes but of cost-benefit
tradeoff.  The other solutions being proposed on this list are just too
complex (and seem to get more complex with each passing month).  I
believe that it is proper to reevaluate the assumptions that have lead
to this complexity.

Much of the complexity results from an earlier "decision" that:

    *ALL* *NEW* functionality *MUST* fit through SMTP/7 and 822/7.

I believe this decision is the source of much grief and must be
reexamined.  I wholeheartedly agree that:

    *ALL* *OLD* functionality must continue to interoperate with
        SMTP/7 and 822/7.

For this reason, we are ammending the "defacto" RFC to *REQUIRE* some
features that protect 7-bit mailers and mail-readers from the effects
of octets (like registered trademark) which, when bit-stripped, may
confuse SMTP DATA exchange or mail-reader parsing of "structured"
header fields.

I also believe that:

    It is *HIGHLY DESIRABLE* that *NEW* functionality fit through
        SMTP/7 and 822/7.

For this reason, I support the position that "binary" encodings should
result in lines of printable ASCII-7 not to exceed 78 characters in
length.

HOWEVER, all of the work to force non-ASCII-7 characters into 7-bits is
leading to more cost than it is worth.

I believe:  We don't need all the extra header fields and questionably
parsable multi-part techniques.  AUC/10646 and extensions to 1154 will
handle all of this in a simple, consistent fashion.

You don't have to agree, but as engineers you need to evaluate the
cost-benefits of what we propose compared to the alternative currently
under discussion.

Flame-broiled on both sides,
David