Re: header encodings

1991-10-02 02:46:29
John wrote:

p.s.: I would caution, however, that there is mail software (mostly
receiving UAs) on the network that will strip apparent escape sequences
(or the ESC character) on the theory that they are protecting users
against screen-killers.  JUNET profile 2022 with the escapes removed is
roughly as information-damaged as the ISO8859 non-Latin sets are by
bit-stripping as an 8->7 conversion process.   One of the important
things about JUNET profile 2022 is that it is rarely seen outside the
JUNET community.  I have no idea what explicitly authorizing it in an
RFC would ultimately do to the rest of the nework.

I think we should *only* talk about a *world* applicable scheme.
The world is too little today to create region specific specifications.
With the advent of the world-wide internet, and people travelling
all over the world and reading their mail and news where
people happen to be, we need supoort for CJK everywhere in the world.
(BTW: this also goes for Danish and other languages).

keld