Re: SPEAK NOW OR HOLD YOUR PEACE (Was Re: Yet another proposal for non-ASCII chars in headers)

1991-10-25 12:39:06
Concerning Keith Moore's header proposal:

1. I liked the Freed/Smart proposal better, as it was prettier for
the unextended wiewers.

2. If we go along with the Moore proposal, I would like two
things addresses:

a. The mnemonic encoding added, perhaps as encoding "M" and as defined
on the Freed/Smart proposal. This would improve readability in many
cases for unextended viewers.

b. It seems to me that there are problems in the text string, as
special characters are allowed there. This certainly leads
to problems, even with conformant rfc822 implementations.
Some encoding of the problem characters like in the Freed/Smart proposal
is needed.

c.  the same encoding of problem characters should be done for the
chaset field.

Keld