Re: base64 and checksums

1991-10-30 17:03:17
Subject: base64 and checksums
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 91 11:15:42 -0800
From: Marshall Rose <mrose(_at_)dbc(_dot_)mtview(_dot_)ca(_dot_)us>

I'm not keen on adding a checksum field to the Content-Transfer-Encoding
header.  Clearly only the base64 can profit from having a checksum
available.

Well, it's not that clear to me :-)  Why not Binary, at least?
Why not Quoted-printable?  Certainly it's possible to encode
something in Quoted-printable in such a way that it is as likely
as BASE64 to pass through internetwork email gateways, and in
many cases this will be more efficient.

(RFC XXXX could use some clarification to the effect that, when
an object is encoded in quoted-printable, 'A' in the encoding
always means 41 hex, etc.)

Keith