Re: encodings, base-64, etc.

1991-10-31 07:20:04

I agree completely with Craig's message that:

-- BASE64 should have a checksum.
-- That the checksum be included with the BASE64 data.
-- That the checksum not be in the header.
-- That BASE64 checksums is a seperate issue from message checksums.

But for a different reason than Craigs.

One factor of whether BASE64 becomes an accepted encoding ids whether
publicly available encoders/decoders are available and widely
distributed.  This is especially important during the/any transition
period in which XXXX capable MTAs and UAs are rare so that end-users
can take apart XXXX style messages.

By adding the checksum to the output of b64encode (proposed name) it
becomes much more useful in the same way that uuencode+checksum is more
useful than plain jane uuencode.

If the checksum is seperate from the BASE64 text the checksum probably
will not be carried along & not be available to b64decode.

Finally.. I am not at all certain that checksumming is needed or useful
over an entire message, it probably is but this isn't certain.  I *am*
certain that it will be useful for certain body parts.  If there were a
checksum over the entire body it should *obviously* be in the header.
There may be times when it is appropriate to add a checksum for a
particular bodypart to the mini-header for that body part. This is not
one of them.

        David