Re: trojan horses in RFC XXXX mail (tex/troff/postscript considered harmful)

1991-10-31 12:32:49
Excerpts from direct: 31-Oct-91 Re: trojan horses in RFC XX.. Keith
Moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu (1574)

I realize it might take some careful analysis to identify the "safe"
subsets of postscript, tex, troff, or whatever.  But I don't think we
can ignore the issue.

In fact, I suspect you will have to have full parsers (and in
PostScript's case, possibly a full interpreter) to be able to check this
"safe subset".  I doubt that it is possible, in the context and
timeframe of RFC-XXXX, to identify safe subsets of these reasonably
complicated languages, and propose some mechanism for implementors of
UA's to follow.  It may only be possible to say:  richtext and
audio/basic and gif are safe; use the rest at your peril.

Bill