New richtext generation -- opinions?

1992-02-02 09:36:53
Hello, ietf-822 folks. As most of you know, I've been using a new version of Andrew that generates MIME-format messages. In the past, it has always generated either text/plain, if appropriate, or a complex structure consisting of a multipart/alternative at the top, plain text first, and a nested multipart/mixed structure after that, which might contain text/richtext and a number of other things.

Several of you have pointed out that this is fairly silly in the case where the message is really just text/richtext, an important special case. I'm now testing a new version of Andrew in which that case is indeed handled specially. While I was at it, I cleaned up the richtext generation in a few other ways. This message is a result of that effort. I'd be grateful for any comments on how the richtext here looks, both to those of you using MIME-compliant readers and those of you reading the raw richtext.

The rest of this message is content-free, but is here to illustrate some formatting stuff. -- Nathaniel

This is some verse
And I could do worse
Than to center it well
and be glad you can't smell

This s an example of an excerpt:

Excerpts from mail: 28-Jan-92 Re: Metamail: Multimedia Ma.. Matti Aarnio(_at_)nic(_dot_)funet(_dot_)f (870)

Just to inform you and maybe to put in some "Other-sites-carrying-this"-file:

The ftp.funet.fi has a copy of it in /pub/unix/mail/metamail/-
directory (with CWD -time pointer towards the Thumper.)

Out primary charter is to be archive site for Finland, but also the rest
of the Nordic countries users have certain priviledges when using our server.

And here's the text part of my signature file:

Nathaniel S. Borenstein <nsb(_at_)thumper(_dot_)bellcore(_dot_)com>
Member of Technical Staff, Bell Communications Research
Office: Bellcore Room MRE 2D-296, 445 South Street, Morristown, NJ 07962-1910
Work phone: (201) 829-4270 [(201) TAX-GAS-0] Work FAX: (201) 829-5963
Home: 25 Washington Ave., Morristown, NJ 07960, (201) 993-8586

"I place economy among the first and most important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers to be feared. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. If we run into such debts, we must be taxed in our meat and drink, in our necessities and in our comforts, in our labor and in our amusements. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labor of the people, under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy."

-- Thomas Jefferson