laptop MIME.

1992-02-09 13:44:26
My home terminal is a $500 laptop running Kermit. I would like to be able to read MIME messages on it without having to go and sell it and buy a $2000 '386 machine running Windows or to carry around a $10000 unix portable. That implies some amount of restraint in the amount of technology brought to bear on the problem. I'm perfectly willing to type in MIME messages with my own damn fingers cause it doesn't seem to be much more difficult than getting one or two headers right and putting in the right kind of markup as needed. I don't expect to use any parts of the standard that are too hard to remember off the top of my head. I'm not going to recompile every single news and mail program on the machine, not just yet. It appears from looking at the sample directory that I'm going to need to change the mail->news gateway here to pass through one more header: Content-type. I am hoping against all hope that that's all I have to do. I am also hoping that real richtext mail readers do the sensible thing with whitespace between paragraphs, because I don't intend to put in little spaceships at the end of each one. The one application that needs to be fixed to "do the right thing" with markup is rn. If the patches to rn to get it to read MIME stuff are in any of the kits I will run it. Otherwise I'll wait. I suspect that with the terminal here I only get one level of emphasis (bold, maybe, or inverse video) so the foopy all-singing all-dancing stuff is right out. (Actually, no I take that back, Kermit can be coerced into doing the right thing with ISO Latin-1 so something that gives me that would win too.) You all can argue all you want about comment nesting. I just want to be able to boldface things in netnews. Once we have that down pat the next thing to do is to write multipart stuff that has a little bit of boldface at the top and a reference to an external resource at the bottom, like a live link to an FTP site, on-line public catalog, WAIS index, gopher menu, archie search, etc etc, so you can note where something is in an unambiguous way. Again, if it's not too huge a production, I will start posting these out to the net in places where unambiguous external references are really needed: groups like alt.wais, comp.archives.admin, and (newly) alt.gopher where people are talking all the time about something that's somewhere else. In the fullness of time I want to drag an icon out of my mail message into my snappy internet navigation tool so that I can find something that someone else has mentioned and tell someone else that there's interesting things out there. --

Edward Vielmetti, vice president for research, MSEN Inc. emv(_at_)msen(_dot_)com
MSEN Inc., 628 Brooks, Ann Arbor MI 48103 +1 313 741 1120

[A four dimensional dancing panda was included in the original text of
this message, but your mail reader is too stupid to show it.]