iso-2022-jp

1992-02-22 17:31:53

The specification for CJK usages (which we have been
calling iso-2022-jp for a while now, though I increasingly
dislike that nomenclature because it isn't pure iso-2022
and it isn't just Japanese any more) should be a separate
distinct draft that refers back to MIME on the architecture
of the extensions.

Erik has said this several times now and I have said this
at least once before, but Keld asked just now and so I
thought perhaps it would safely bear repeating again.

I should also mention that there is serious discussion
of having Vietnamese (which won't fit in 8-bits or 7-bits)
supported by the same draft that hopes to handle CJK.
I and a couple of others from the Vietnamese Standards
Group are participating in the subgroup that Erik is
sponsoring to try to see if we can make this feasible.

Ran
atkinson(_at_)itd(_dot_)nrl(_dot_)navy(_dot_)mil