ISO-10646 & UTF

1992-02-29 11:10:05

  The comments being made are a good example of why the whole matter
of handling ISO-10646 were deferred.  Until ISO finally and formally
approves moving the DIS to a full IS, it is pointless to try to solve
those issues.  I am fully supportive of the ISO efforts (perhaps I'm
overly optimistic) because I see it as the best chance for a nearly
universal character set.

  Nonetheless, support for the IS (once that happens) should be in a
separate RFC written up later.  I'm confident that the IESG will be
supportive of any approach to supporting that IS that is technically
sound, regardless of whether MIME talks about creating new "content-
transfer-encodings" or not.

This is not a big item (or shouldn't be).  Please let's defer this
ISO-10646 discussion until that IS is finally and fully approved.

Ran
atkinson(_at_)itd(_dot_)nrl(_dot_)navy(_dot_)mil