Re: A refinement to radix64

1992-06-02 14:27:55
--- Begin Message ---
I am really trying to restrain myself in answering your message.

The proposed change to base64 offers ZERO functional improvement.
Making that change would break the 3+ implementations already deployed
at ~500 sites.  (Not to mention screwing up the 12+ other
implementations currently being developed.)

The most charitable thing I can say about this "minor change" is that it
is "gratuitous".

In terms of practical engineering, one must always weigh the pros and
cons of making a change.  This analysis must include consideration of
the installed base.  I could continue in this vein, but you probably
understand where this argument is going.

/mtr

--- End Message ---