Re: why worry about 8-bit quoting

1992-12-22 16:10:12
Subject: why worry about 8-bit quoting
To: ietf-822(_at_)dimacs(_dot_)rutgers(_dot_)edu
From: ERIK(_at_)acspr1(_dot_)acs(_dot_)brockport(_dot_)edu
Date: 22 Dec 92 16:22:38 EST

 lwj(_at_)cs(_dot_)kun(_dot_)nl writes:
 > Greg Vaudreuil writes:
 > > Quoted-binary is a new feature which has yet to be implemented
 > > and if included in MIME will need to be implemented and tested by
 > > at least two independent implementations before MIME can be advanced.
 >
 > Given the intended similarity to quoted-printable, it should be
 > trivial (ie, a very small amount of work) to add quoted-8bit to an
 > existing implementation supporting quoted-printable. The problem
 > is then to find an 8-bit transport channel to test
 > interoperability over.

    This strikes me as a little strange.  If you have an 8-bit
transport layer, then there is no reason to use 8-bit quoting.
(since you can move all 8-bits across your transport layer.)

Well, the 8bit-MIME-over-SMTP internet-draft still allows SMTPs to
limit lines to 1000 characters.  So at least one 8-bit transport
might still need quoting to hide ends-of-lines, or to make all
lines shorter than 1000 characters.

Keith Moore