Re: quoted-binary: an idea whose time has come?

1993-01-07 22:17:09
I think a key question is:

"What is the relationship between Quoted-8bit and Quoted-7bit?"

Is there a defined mapping from one to the other?

Should Q8 be encoded in Base64 by gateways?  Or into Q7?

Or, are we just creating another "Just Send 8bits" flap?

BTW, I suggest that MIME(draft) use Quoted-7bit in place of
Quoted-Printable as it is now in MIME(proposed).

I have always wondered why it is meaningful to call it
Quoted-Printable, when printers are not especially 7bit devices, and
will cerainly not be such for very long into the future.

Another BTW, have all the features of MIME been implemented and tested
enough to warrant taking MIME(proposed) to MIME(draft)?

I gather that Rich-Text comes out because it is not yet sufficiently
stable.  What else has to come out to make the move now?

I can see how Q8 should be a separate little RFC, at this point.  Is
it possible for Q8 to later be folded into MIME as it goed from
MIME(draft) to MIME(std)?  Or is it desired to maintain early
separation as these things mature?

Cheers...\Stef