Re: SGML, RichText, etc.

1993-01-21 10:45:15
At 10:02 AM 1/21/93 -0500, John C Klensin wrote:

One contingent, in which I would count myself, wants this thing to be
quite lightweight and *very* device and facilities independent in the
markup (if not going all the way to the generic approach of SGML).  I
don't want to see anything more specific than <bold> and <smaller>, and
I want the display semantics associated with those to be explicitly left
up to the UA implementation, with no standardized guidance and as little
folklore guidance as possible.

xxx </smaller> issues don't need to be clarified: clearly they do.

I am in complete agreement with John on this point.

john noerenberg
jwn2(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com
noerenberg.j (Applelink)
That which has always been accepted by everyone, everwhere,
is almost certain to be false.
-- John Millington Synge "Tel Quel" [1943]