Re: 16/32-bit charsets and MIME-encoding

1993-02-12 00:18:18
For declaring the ISO 10646 in MIME we could use UCS as character code
name.  But also we may have to include "level" as Unicode what to use
what probably will be level 3 in the IS allowing any combination of
combining characters. It would be better if we could restrict us to
only allow combining characters when no code exists for the combined
character (probably level 2 in the IS) as this would simplify UCS <->
local coding.

People probably have differing opinions about this.  Combining
character purists would probably want even the Latin-1 precomposed
characters to be represented as 2 characters each (i.e. base and
combining).

That is OK if it was a precomposed character, BUT the "a with ring above",
"a with diaeresis" and "o with diaeresis" are in Swedish NOT (observe NOT)
a composed character! They may NOT be represented as two characters.

    Dan