*informal* MIME product survey at Interop August 93

1993-08-27 22:36:37
I walked the exhibit floor at Interop this week looking for e-mail
exhibitors.  At each exhibit booth that appeared to do e-mail, I asked
two questions:

  1. Are you showing at least one product that implements MIME?

  2. If not, are you planning to implement MIME in a product?

Following are the answers I got to these questions.

Before I summarize the results, there are many disclaimers:

1. These are not very precise questions, but then again, I'm not doing a
   detailed survey.

2. I may have passed an exhibit booth and not realized that it did e-mail.

3. Obviously, not all e-mail product exhibitors exhibit at Interop.

4. If a exhibitor answered yes to the first question, I didn't always stick
   around to see the product running -- and for those I did see run, I
   didn't look under the hood.

5. Nothing reported here should be viewed as a commitment on the part of
   the exhibitor.

6. Listings of exhibitors are alphabetical.

7. I'm on the Interop Program Committee and consult to one of the
   exhibitors below.  However, I did this survey solely for my own
   information.

So, consider this rough data of questionable accuracy.

          exhibitors who answered "yes" to the first question

exhibitor               platform        function
---------               --------        --------
frontier technologies   windows         user agent
ibm                     os/2            user agent
innosoft                openvms         user agent, gateway
intercon                windows         user agent
wingra                  openvms         gateway
z-code software         unix            user agent

          exhibitors who answered "yes" to the second question

exhibitor               platform        function
---------               --------        --------
beame & whiteside       windows         user agent
cc:mail                                 gateway
intercon                mac             user agent
netmanage               windows         user agent
soft*switch                             gateway
spry                    windows         user agent
starnine                mac             (forgot to write it down)
wingra                  unix            gateway
wollongong              interactive     gateway
                                #######