Re: PEM-MIME drafts

1993-11-02 05:35:38
Although I like some of the current PEM-MIME (MIME-PEM) draft
I think it  has a number of problems. The main one is that there are
alot of MIME implementations out there now and from what I have seen
adding a multipart/headerset type is going to mean alot of code changes.

Having the PEM stuff wrapped in an application/pem part does not need
changes.

The main problem with the current PEM standard is that there is no mechanism
to allow some headers to be put into and then extracted from the enhanced
text. If we allowed a PEM content-domain for RFC822-Message with specifies
that there are some 822 header lines at the start of the enhanced text
then the alternative proposal of content domain MIME is covered already.

The meaning of header lines such as From and To in an enhanced header
are not defined since they will have been excluded from the normal re-writing
that takes place. But Mime related headers can be used.

Peter Churchyard.