Re: Comments on MIME/SGML

1994-03-07 17:52:34
Tim,

Your suggestion to use URIs in the Content-IDs is quite appropriate.
I did not use your
suggestion, which I acknowledge you made earlier and to which I did
not respond, for two reasons.  First, it is important for me to have
the entire document self contained; second, I am unable to point to
URIs through an Internet standard, unfortunately we haven't gotten
there yet.

Is there any reason, however, that someone cannot use a URI in the
Content-ID.  What language would you suggest that would open up the
usage to your proposal.  From my point of view, URIs are useful.  Another
way I think they can be used is as a Message/External-body.  That way
is more general and URIs are available beyond SGML.  Is there a proposal
for doing that?

Thanks.../Ed

repl: bad addresses:
        distribution(_dot_)(_at_)dimacs(_dot_)rutgers(_dot_)edu; (see end of
body) -- no colon found to terminate route (;)

Dan,

   1. We make the following correspondence between the terms of the SGML
   standard and the MIME RFC:

       SGML SYSTEM identifier => MIME Content-ID

      I proposed in an earlier note that the SGML SYSTEM identifier
      should be a URI and that a special form of URI (cid:) should
      be used to specify a content identifier within a MIME
      multipart message.

      SGM SYSTEM identifier  => URI

      This allows SGML to reference anything in the universal
      syntax, inclusing now URLs and later URNs, and
      other parts of a MIME object using the cid: form.
      I think this is important, as external references
      are important too, and one will need to mix them.

      Tim BL

%%% overflow headers %%%
Cc: Multiple Recipients of List
<ietf-822(_at_)dimacs(_dot_)rutgers(_dot_)edu>,
        Dan Connolly -- HTML draft spec author <connolly(_at_)hal(_dot_)com>,
        Tim Berners-Lee -- WWW Project Lead
<timbl(_at_)www0(_dot_)cern(_dot_)ch>,
        Terry Allen GNN representative <terry(_at_)ora(_dot_)com>,
        Dave Raggett -- HTML+ draft spec author
<dsr(_at_)hplb(_dot_)hpl(_dot_)hp(_dot_)com>,
        Dave Hollander -- SDL designer
<dmh(_at_)hpfcma(_dot_)fc(_dot_)hp(_dot_)com>,
        Elliot Kimber -- HyTime advocate <kimber(_at_)passage(_dot_)com>,
        Peter Flynn -- HTML educator <pflynn(_at_)curia(_dot_)ucc(_dot_)ie>,
        Rob McCool -- NCSA representative
<robm(_at_)ncsa(_dot_)uiuc(_dot_)edu>,
        Erik Naggum -- SGML advocate <erik(_at_)naggum(_dot_)no>,
        WWW Talk List -- Archive Mechanism
<www-talk(_at_)www0(_dot_)cern(_dot_)ch>
%%% end overflow headers %%%