RFC 1590 comments

1994-03-14 15:14:47
Hello,
I have just now come up for air after reading RFC1590,
"Media Type Registration Procedure".

I am slightly surprised, and have a couple of points I want
to get cleared up. Not sure where to address them, so I
just try with a followup to the list I know best.....the RFC
did not give a discussion forum, just an author's address.

1) Procedural: This document is an Informational document, but
   updates an existing Draft Standard document. How can this be?
   Who should care about the update, and why? Is there a requirement
   (by whom?) that the update is folded into the base document
   when it is advanced to full Standard, or not?

2) Object identifiers. The language of the document says:
   "solicit comments....on....the choice of which OIDs to use",
   and says it "...addresses the registration requirements needed
   for the mapping of Object Identifiers for X.400 MHS use..."
   Yet it does not address the problem of *which* procedure for
   turning the Media Type into an X.400 Extended Body Part
   is applicable, and later it says simply that "IANA will....
   ...assign an OID under the IANA branch".
   As part-author of RFC 1494, I am kind of painfully aware how
   this stuff must be specified if it is to interwork.

3) Start date. I see the stuff under "in-notes/media-types",
   but most of these are extremely terse, and do *not* assign
   an OID.

I know I talked this over with Joyce at Amsterdam (for about 2
minutes), and agree that the procedure needed updating, but I
would have liked to be able to comment on the document before
it went to RFC, instead of afterwards.
But I might have been asleep at the switch at some point in time...

                          Harald Tveit Alvestrand