8bit vs binary

1994-10-17 08:04:19
At 3:43 AM 10/17/94, Harald(_dot_)T(_dot_)Alvestrand(_at_)uninett(_dot_)no
wrote:
It is my belief that a single-body message encoded in 8bit MUST have
its last bytes be CRLF in order to be sent using the 8BITMIME SMTP
extension; this makes the behaviour of PD Eudora, which labels attachments
as "Binary" and sends them using SMTP, rather questionable in my eyes.

Sorry, don't know what you're getting at.  Eudora always CRLF terminates
text.  Eudora never sends non-text parts with CTE: binary.  It only sent
text parts with CTE: binary when the user has instructed it not to use
quoted-printable or not to wrap long lines.  Because of certain (and I
believe entirely wrong) decisions in other mailers that CTE: binary implies
no newline canonicalization, current versions use 8bit instead of binary.

--
Steve Dorner, Qualcomm Incorporated.  "Oog make mission statement."