Re: NULL

1994-10-17 11:50:55

Then it's not a consensus, is it?

Wrong, Keith.  Consensus doesn't need to be unanimous.

You're right of course.

So, would you please summarize your sense of the conflicting views?  Then
we can try to figure out whether the debate really is about interpreting
specs or whether it is about misreading them...

Okay, here goes:

I don't believe that the 8bit content-transfer-encoding was intended
to be used with contents that can contain the entire range of octet
values from 0-255.

If I understand Ohta-san correctly, he believes that 8bit is an
appropriate label for such cases.

I think we agree that the current MIME spec does not sufficiently
specify when the 8bit label is or is not appropriate.

Keith