My understanding of MIME registration

1994-10-27 03:33:46
I put up a few words on how I understand the current MIME body part
registration procedures on

http://domen.uninett.no/~hta/mimestuff/media-types.html

A text version is below; the Web version includes hyperlinks to the
relevant IANA archives and RFCs.

                          Harald A

MIME media types

This document lists a few things that are nice to know about MIME
media types, as I understand them.

Official registration procedures

MIME types should be registered with IANA.

What IANA thinks is registered at any time can be found in the IANA
FTP archive.  The directories here contain the actual application
forms for registration.

According to RFC 1590, the registration procedures for MIME types
should include discussions on the list
"ietf-types(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu". However, cs.utk.edu was not consulted
before
this RFC was published, so I am not certain whether the published
address works or not. I'm not a list member at the moment.

All in all, the publication of RFC 1590 without previous discussion in
the MIME community doesn't seem to have been a good choice.

MIME conversion tables to X.400

Conversions between MIME and X.400 should be done according to RFC 1494.

The IANA registry of such conversions is part of the file media-types,
according to RFC 1700.

Harald(_dot_)T(_dot_)Alvestrand(_at_)uninett(_dot_)no
Last modified: Thu Oct 27 11:29:56 1994